Each year, the Very Merry Dickens Carolers audition, train and hire costumed, a cappella Christmas Carolers (usually in quartets - SATB), Instrumentalists (types vary), as well as Mr. and Mrs.
Claus. Auditions will be held on an on-going basis by appointment only. Rehearsals are held from September through November (schedule is TBA). The performance season runs from
mid-November through Christmas Eve. Your own performance hours are largely determined by your personal availability and commitment to rehearsals, etc.
What to expect:
The audition will last approximately 15-20 minutes and has up to five parts (depending on your desired position):
1) Regardless of the position, we would like to see/hear how you speak in front of an audience. Please be prepared to tell one of your favorite Christmas memories, approximately one minute in
length. Be yourself; this is not a traditional actors monologue in character.
2) a) Carolers: We want to hear you sing. You’ll sing a verse and chorus of two Christmas songs of your own choosing; a cappella, in any style.
b) Instrumentalists: We want to hear you play. You’ll play a verse and chorus of two Christmas songs of your own choosing; unaccompanied, in any style.
c) Santa and Mrs. Claus: Read us a short story, and answer some questions (from a child’s viewpoint).
3) For Carolers and Instrumentalists: We want to get a sense of your level of musicianship, so we’ll have you sight-read a Christmas song or two with one of us, in harmony. There is no expected
or required level needed to qualify. We just want to know how well and how quickly you’ll be able to learn music.
4) We will then conduct a brief interview to find out more about you, your experience, your expectations, etc.
5) Finally, we will discuss the position(s) and answer any questions you may have.
1) Arrive 15 minutes prior to your audition appointment to fill out paperwork.
2) Bring your calendar. Part of the paperwork is a schedule of your availability for the season. Because the season is so short, availability is rather important, and will be a factor
when determining who will work with us.
3) Pencil the callback date into your calendar, so you will be available if we need to see you again.
4) Bring a resume and headshot if you have them. If you do not have a headshot, we will take a snapshot of you during your audition.
Auditions (as well as rehearsals) are currently held Cumberland and North Smithfield, RI.
Email us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, e-mail, phone number(s), and voice part / position interested